Consumer Resources

This page provides helpful information for consumers. Please don’t hesitate to e-mail the NMBA if you have questions or need more information.

Northern Minnesota Builders Association
218-326-NMBA (6622)

Building Contractors License Lookup

Many building trades are required to hold a license with the MN Department of Labor & Industry. Residential Contractors & Remodelers are required to be licensed. There is a handyman exemption for those that make less than $15,000 in gross receipts (including material & labor) annually. Master Electricians, Journeyman Electricians, Registered Electricians, Master Plumbers, Power Limited Technicians are also required to be licensed under the MN Department of Labor & Industry. Please refer to their website to do a license look-up and for more information regarding licensing requirements:

Consumer Education Publications:
Citizen’s Guide to Home Building and Remodeling is written and published by the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office. Main Switchboard: 1-800-657-3787

Hiring a Residential Contractor:
What You Need to Know is written and published by the Minnesota Dept. of Commerce. Main Switchboard: 1-651-296-4026

Department of Commerce:
Search Consumer Info and Services for energy sources, license lookups, downloadable publications and tips, enforcement actions, plus much more to help you make educated choices and decisions.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors

Required by Law – And Just Might Save You Life!
* January 1, 2007, all newly constructed dwellings for which building permits were issued on or after January 1, shall have an approved CO alarm.
* Effective August 1, 2008, all existing single-family homes shall have an approved CO alarm.
* Effective August 1, 2009, all other multifamily or apartment-dwelling units shall have an approved CO alarm.
* Within 10 feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping.
* All CO alarms shall be certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory to conform to the latest Underwriters Laboratory (UL) Standards (also known as UL2034 Standards).
* CO alarms must be either hardwired into the electrical wiring, directly plugged into an electrical outlet without a switch, or battery powered.

Questions? Contact the State Fire Marshal Division at 651-201-7200,

visit our website at or e-mail your questions here. You may also visit the Department of Labor and Industry website at or call 651-284-5060.

Consumer Home Help:

If you would like to print out the above PDF documents you will need Adobe? Acrobat? or Adobe? Acrobat? Reader? to open the files. If you do not have this software, you can download it for free by clicking on the Acrobat? graphic below.